Wednesday, September 3, 2014

DIARY | moving forward to year 3 in Japan







The beginning of September marks the beginning of my 3rd year in Japan. Some of you may know that I moved to Japan from Southern California exactly 2 years ago to start a professional modeling career in Tokyo. And wow, has time flown by! 

There has, and will be many changes from here on forward. I don't think I've felt so many emotions at one given moment in a while - feelings of excitement, fear, anxiety... the list goes on. Excitement because, of course, things should start picking up for me in my career; fear because of the unknown; anxiety because I want to accomplish so much and there never seems to be enough time. As I am writing this, I don't want to sound like I am ranting and focusing on any negative feelings. But in all honestly, there were so many instances in the last two years where I doubted my decision of coming to Japan because things weren't going the way I was hoping or imagining. I felt like giving up countless times.

But somehow, each time I found myself sticking to my original decision of making it through until I accomplish something that I am truly proud of. My friends and family have told me that I've accomplished a lot until now, but the (sort-of) overachiever that I am is not quite satisfied. Whether it's my modeling, music, my blog, teaching, translating, in all fields I want to achieve so much more and I know that this city of opportunity will help me get there. It is overwhelming sometimes, especially now that I am trying to cram all sorts of things, and put other things on the wayside until I have the time and energy for them again.

I think the main reason why I can't leave is because of the people here. I am extremely grateful for all of the opportunities I've had thus far. I never thought I would meet so many amazing, important people here, and I cannot even put into words how much encouragement I've received these last two years. I couldn't have come this far without these people. It's easy to be upset over the things you don't have, or the things that go wrong in life, but I'm starting to realize, wow, I am a pretty lucky girl. I'm young and I have the opportunity to chase my dreams in a place I've always wanted to live and work in. I can't take this life, this time for granted.

Oh, and I'm not only talking about the people I've met in real life - you, my readers are all such a huge inspiration and encouragement to me. Reading your comments, following each other on Instagram/Twitter - small things like that make my day and motivate me to publish more (quality) content on my little blog here. So thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.


I usually don't write much in my posts, but I might start doing this once in a while as a sort of diary on my blog.



Many thanks and much love x


Love,

Samantha Mariko



16 comments:

  1. I would love a diary series on your blog. As someone who recently moved to a foreign country with only one prospect and not a lot of knowledge about the culture or the language, I am grateful for any and all experience that is shared with me. I'm pretty much cycling through all the emotions that you mentioned and it's both comforting and encouraging to know that someone else feels the same, and they're doing fine, amazing even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, congrats! You really accomplished many things! And good luck with everything!
    xx

    shititsmidnight.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with diary, sometimes it´s amazing. Looks like you did a lot of work through the 3 years and have many great experience. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't know about your goals and your pursuing them. that's amazing! and even more for you to stick to them despite trying moments. rooting for ya! good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you Sam! You're such an inspiration to everyone and to me especially. You're such a beautiful lady inside and out. I'll always be rooting for you beacuse I want to see you make it out there! I know you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! congrats on your third year! I just discovered your blog, and I Can't wait to see what this diary will be like! Good luck with everything else! You are pretty lucky to be surrounded by such positive and supportive people!

    Tiffany
    Tragic Couturist

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first post I read of your blog, I'm a new follower. I follow you because I like how you make the blog so personal and interesting. You're a very lucky girl, you had the chance to pursuit your dreamed career. I live in Argentina and I want to work in the fashion industry in NY. Stories like yours make me believe that dreams do come true if we work for them, that I don't have to stop dreaming. You should totally do diary posts. Hope you have an awesome 3rd year in Japan and that you can achieve the things you wish.
    Kisses!
    Obsessed Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an interesting and lovely personal post
    thanks for sharing,
    I wish I could go to Japan some time.

    cant wait to hear and see more from your place


    e d i o t
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand exactly how you feel, and that's what everyone may feel...to be honest I do!!
    But I'm sure that you noticed how you've changed, how you've got better by your surroundings, by supportive friends/readers, and by you...yourself. I do wish you nicer 3rd year in Japan and lots of smiles with great experiences.

    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this whole diary blogging idea, it really makes things a bit more personal so we can have a glimpse of your life and relate to you more. I already love your blog, but this is definitely something I'll look forward to reading even more. I understand your feelings, and hope that you are able to continue to push through the hard times. I wish you the best in life. Good luck :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations on reaching year 3 in japan! it must've been a very hard decision to move to another country but it definitely has paid off girl! your work and career are already so inspiring and I can't to see what else you can achieve.
    don't give up and keep on dreaming!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely amazing post, loved reading your experiences, thanks for sharing! :) I'm sure all your dreams will come true one day, just keep pursuing them!

    www.nevernotinspired.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we're always our harshest critics and sometimes we need our friends and family to tell us how great we are once in a while :) Thanks for sharing this post with us, you're an inspiration for sure, keep doing what you're doing and congrats on all of your amazing accomplishments!

    xx Hélène
    www.FashionOverReason.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i know you are headed for great things! not everyone gets the opportunity to follow their dreams, so i'd say you're pretty lucky. and special! look forward to year 3!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was so beautiful Sam. I think you're so pretty! You hang in there and things will come your way doll. I think it was a fabulous decision. Take each day as a lesson. One thing always prepares you for another.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read each and every one!